Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Coming home to Jerusalem




Yesterday, I came home to Jerusalem. I have never been here before, but this city is a special place representing God's presence on earth for Christians, Muslims and Jews. It is a spiritual home - a place that has dwelled in my imagination and study for years - though my preaching and teaching of Holy scripture. And so here I am, the real deal, Jerusalem.

I am traveling with a group from the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts, led by our Suffragan Bishop Gayle Harris. There are 16 of us, we come from a handful of different parishes around the Diocese. Each of us has brought a different reason for going on this adventure, and I think that in time we may all discover the real reason we have come. As with any pilgrimage, we will discover more upon the way.

This city is enfolded in prayer. We hear the Muslim call to prayer through out the day. The first time I heard it, I was unpacking in my hotel room. I rushed to the window, and threw it open to hear, but already its beautiful sounds are becoming common place in this amazing Holy city.

Today, we went to the Mount of Olives, and walked down the mountain to the City of Jerusalem the same walk Jesus took on Palm Sunday and then on to the the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus prayed before his capture.




It continues to amaze me how close everything is, how the stories of Jesus' passion take place in a very small geographic area. Every site is marked by a church. We read the scripture associated with the site, and have a chance to pray. I am looking forward to exploring my spiritual home more over the days to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment